Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Literal Pile-Up

I found myself in the middle of a ruined city at the foot of a mountainous pile of school buses and motorcycles. The cherry on the steel sundae was a large semi, teetering precariously.

Seeing two of my friends had scaled the pile, I followed suit. I reached James first. By the time I arrived by his side, however, he was unconscious, near death. I fell to my knees, prepared to begin CPR.

This is not how I expected the Inevitable* to occur, I thought to myself.

I desperately tried to remember my CPR. It had been almost a year since my training, and I had not yet had occasion to use it. I finally settled on thirty chest compressions followed by two breaths and began the procedure.

When I reached my fifteenth chest compression James sprang to life. I heaved a sigh of relief at not having to put my mouth on his.

Together we continued on to the top of the hill, where Will stood waiting. He urged us to jump. I looked over the edge at the wreckage of a hundred school buses and motorcycles and balked.

"Jump," Will ordered.

I woke up.

*The Inevitable is a commonly referred to event among my friends. It is the time, hopefully in the distant future, when James and I are annoying each other and for one reason or another we accidentally faceplant into each other's faces.It will be a tragic day indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment