Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Baby Blues

"I'm pregnant," Lacey told me, a huge grin spread across her face.

Lacey had been wanting a baby for some time, so I was thrilled at the news. I worried for a brief moment, however, about the fact that she was not married to Peter.

I looked down to see a stroller sitting next to her. In it sat one of the robot babies that teenagers are often given in health class. I knew that it was to prepare for the birth and I was proud of her.

"When are you due?" I asked eagerly.

"January," she responded. I was surprised, as it was already October.

We arrived at the beach house* late at night. I bumped into Alex as everyone was unloading the cars.

"Alex," I grinned. "Lacey's pregnant."

He made a face that can only be described as unreadable.

I realized too late that Lacey might not want me spread her good news for her. I pulled her aside while the others were watching a movie and she verified my fears: she wanted to be the one to tell the others about her new arrival, so she could see their faces.

The entire group sat up late, talking at relaxing on the porch. Lacey rocked the fake baby gently. I should have told Lacey I couldn't keep a secret. Soon enough I told Megan. Her face grew dark.

"That's awful," she scolded. "They are too young and unmarried. How irresponsible."

I knew it fell to me to keep Megan from telling the others, and to keep Lacey from knowing I had betrayed her trust.

I woke up.

*The beach house is a place where I and several of my friends stayed together for a week. I was an extreme amount of together time with them, and is also when I had most of my really bad nightmares. I may also refer to the beach house group, as they have been key players in many of my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment